5.28.2011

Why not?

I've recently had some stuff on my mind, so to combat me thinking about this stuff every free moment I get, I took it upon myself to sign up for a 10K. I must say that having a goal to do something and then getting in the exercise to do it works wonders for me. I like to run and this race was very doable. I came in feeling quite good as Jess and Oliver cheered me into the finish. "Did you see me sprint at the end?" I asked Jess. His answer, "You were sprinting?" Ha! I felt like I was kicking the pavement pretty hard, but apparently I felt a lot cooler than I looked. After some congratulations and discussing how my race went, Jess, as my inspirational coach, told me that I need to get those knees high and start sprinting earlier toward the end. He finished it up by saying, "You should feel pretty tired at the end so you know you've given it your all." I've taken this coaching to heart and will try it out next time. I like talking to Jess about pushing myself harder. I know myself as a bit of a wimp, so I like this kind of talk.

This race was doubly good because it was at a regional airport and there were several planes, helicopters, trucks, and automobiles on display. Oliver was livin' it up. We got to go inside many vehicles. We even had a chance to see a motor cross show that was "off the hizzy!" How's that for some extreme sports talk?

What's more, the race was triply good because it was held very close to our friends' house. We were able to meet up with them, look at the planes, and grab some lunch at an excellent place. This made for a very fun Saturday.


my pre-race face :: Oliver pops his head out of an armored vehicle :: sitting on the fire engine

6 comments:

jo said...

Go Ash! What an inspiration. And I love your inspirational team (Jess and Oliver), they seem like great teamates.

Thanks for posting about this. Gives me motivation.

Chap said...

ocngratulations! I know that Vance and Holley are very proud of you, too! What a fun place to have a race, esp for Oliver!

Chap said...

hmm, spelling error...

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

way to go! ben would have probably said the same thing to me... "you were sprinting???" boys.

Natalie said...

I think a 10k is pretty great even if you weren't sprinting fast enough for Jess. ;)

Janice said...

I ran a 10 K today in honor of my hometown's Bolder Boulder.