8.27.2013

Hey you in the coupe, lighten up...

What if we chose our friends based on how people looked while driving a car?

The answer: We'd have no friends.

People look so serious, so intense, (can I go as far as saying) so mean while driving.  Have you noticed this?  Take a look at your fellow drivers the next time you drive in a car.  You'll see what I mean.  And, no, I don't think I am immune to this syndrome. I am sure, almost certain, that I look way intense, in fact I probably have a scowl on my face when I drive.

But back to my original question, how would you go about choosing who you'd be friends with if you were to base it on the driving face?  I've seen some very nice people, people who I consider quite friendly and delightful, look quite sinister behind the wheel.  And the look seems to get ever more serious when drivers turn.  They do that lean to one side as they turn and it is very serious business.  Very serious. 

I'd be friends with the dude drumming on the wheel.  But to tell you the truth, I haven't seen that in a very long time.  Maybe I'd be friends with the girl who's singing at the top of her lungs.  Again, doesn't happen  often.  Then there are the people eating a burger/cone/beverage (of the non-alcoholic variety of course).  That makes them seem nicer.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it makes them seem less robot and more human (or more like a slob).  Still, I'd steer clear of the texter, the phone user, and especially the car arguer.  Their problems concerning friendships (not to mention that none of them is safe) respectively are, lack of eye contact, lack of attention, and lack of communication skills.  And then there's the person that stares you down as you pass them.  Now that's a bit intimidating.  "I'm sorry, you're going 60 and I want to go 68.  No hard feelings, okay?"

If looking at the face while driving can't help us out, maybe the car model or car sticker or license vanity plate could steer us in the right direction.  Hmm, probably not.

No comments: