7.31.2008

The Sound and the Fury

If you are familiar with William Faulkner, you know that he sometimes wrote using the "stream of consciousness" technique. While this sort of writing makes for a very effective way of letting the reader know the characters, it is not as reader friendly as other techniques. It doesn't allow for a quick read, but instead, the reader must work to gather the story and it's details to create the aggregate. This is surely the case with The Sound and the Fury. After I read the first 20 pages or so, I felt completely overwhelmed with several characters and details I couldn't bring together as a whole. "I should take notes," I thought to myself. I ended up using Cliffs'. This is the 1st time I've actually used the aid of Cliffs Notes and amazingly, I used it to supplement my reading of the novel rather than the more oft, last minute use of having the novel supplement it. (As a side note, while making a trip to the car mechanic, I took the book and Notes with me to help pass time if needed. One of the mechanics remarked, "Cliffs Notes, eh?" to which I answered, "Have you ever read The Sound and the Fury? You've got to have the Notes to read it!" The mechanic followed up with "Never read it, never will.") This book takes work and, if you're willing, you get to experience literature probably like you never have before. Faulkner tells the story of the Compson family. A family living in Mississippi during the turn of the 20 century. Throughout the book, the reader learns through various events how selfishness, insecurity, and cowardice materializes in everyday life activities. Part of the reading experience is trying to sift through it all and figure it out. This book is one that you need to read more than once to catch Faulkner's vision. And if you're like me, you may need some supplementary material.

2 comments:

Janice said...

I read enough Falkner in high school. I have ZERO interest in him ever again.

jo said...

I can just see you at the auto shop reading Falkner with the Cliffs' notes.

Like janice, I am impressed at your reading endurance! Very impressive.