7.15.2008

New Shoes

Well, I finally did it. I bought a new pair of running shoes. My old pair has been with me longer than 4 years. Yes, I know 4 years is a bit over the recommended running shoe lifetime (sources say you should get new running shoes every 300-500 miles, which, for a runner running 3 miles about 5 days a week, is in about 6 months), but boy, did I love these shoes. I've been through lots of different things these past 4+ years, all while owning and running in these shoes, and to tell you the truth, I'm having a hard time thinking of getting rid of them. I took these shoes with me during one of the craziest/most memorable/bitter sweet cruises I've ever been on. I've hiked in these shoes amidst the greatest landscapes around, from Southern Utah to Oahu, Hawaii. I've run the streets of my college campus, the roads through my neighborhood, the park trails where I made my first big move, and the sandy paths of Europe. In these shoes, I enjoyed time with family, digesting conversation, racing go-karts, taking afternoon walks, chasing nieces and nephews, finishing a 5k. Yep, I'm having a hard time switching. It's great for the knees but hard to separate myself from the shoes (they're shoes for pete's sake!). Still, I'm taking a liking to my new pair and I have high hopes for what they'll join me in.

7 comments:

jo said...

Man, those are some well travelled shoes. I can understand the difficulty in parting with them. And considering your special attachment to shoes. As they say, "the shoes are in the dark/ growing in pain."

Janice said...

I need to get myself a new pair as well. I LOVED your description of the cruise. So true.

Angie said...

Now even I am starting to feel attached to those shoes.

Lilly said...

Many wishes for the new shoes to accompany you in making great memories!

Hey,I just got back to your blog as I never get a chance because my blog is on hold..so to speak...

but am super excited to read more about your Belgium experience. Too bad didn't get to have you visit here. But hey, next time.

And you are an inspiration...
I should pick-up my old blog and update it!
Man, I lost some excitement... and by now have had SO many happenings that don't know how would I catch up on entries??
Anyways, great to hear your stories!!

Natalie said...

I'm just glad you took a picture to preserve the memory of your favorite shoes. Every time you see the pic you'll remember all your memories - and there seem to be a lot of great (and not-so-great) memories but they're all important right? Enjoy the new ones!

ZhaoKids said...

haha I should of taking pic of my old Birkenstock sandals. I loved them and wore than every day in the summer for more than 4 years......and it got dirty and smelly and Da said they had to go. I missed them so much. Just got a new pair from Da for my 3-0 b-day and I look forward to keep them as long as possible also.....=) Hope you love your new ones as much if not more as your old ones. =)

Da said...

Hahahah wassup with people loving their shoes. I wore my mission shoes every single day and came home and continue wearing them while dating Abbey. Then she finally threw them away b/c I was having a hard time parting them and now I have another that has many holes and the bottom has no traction..but yet still love them. So will see what happens..