7.22.2008

Protein

Before the wild weight loss protein craze, before the Atkins diet, before the bunless Burger King burger; my mom emphasized the importance of protein. Not as a weight loss mechanism, but as a healthy part of the human diet, required by everyone because muscles need to be fed. Throughout my growing up years, my mom always made sure my siblings and I were getting enough protein in our diets. Protein was best for sustaining the full feeling and it kept our energy high.

One protein-filled item I remember is the egg & cheese toasted sandwich. Not only is this item high it protein, it isn't low in triglycerides either. My mom made me this breakfast every morning I had a big event at school, namely AP tests. I attribute my passing all AP tests to this very sandwich (whether I received a 3, 4, or 5 on said tests is another matter). The sandwich consists of scrabbled eggs made with milk and cheese plus a little season-salt, placed between two pieces of generously buttered wheat toast. Ahhh, it is (and was) delicious. Best when my mom made it. It is a sandwich you can sink your teeth into. And the butter squishes out of the toast and mixes with the cheesy eggs to create an excellent meal that lasts until 1pm in the afternoon. A full 2 hours after when I usually start to feel hungry.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Ahh, your mom and protein. That was a favorite thing of hers.

jo said...

I remember those! And you describe them perfectly. I remember loving them, like you. And when we were in a hurry and didn't have enough time to eat them at home, mom would wrap them in a paper towel for us with just enough showing to take a few bites on the road. I loved it. Thanks for the memory.

Natalie said...

Mmm, that sounds so yummy. Maybe I'll have to make one for dinner...