7.09.2008

The Bourne Identity - the book

I saw the movie and liked it a lot, so when I found the book on our shelves as one of the only books I had not read (excepting textbooks), I decided to give it a try. At first, it wasn't much of a page turner, interesting, but nothing more. To stay entertained, I'd think back to movie scenes (one of which is when Jason Bourne is explaining to Marie that he's memorized the license plates of the cars parked along the street but he doesn't know why). However, once I got going with the story, the book alone kept me involved. I wanted to know what was going to happen next: if Jason was going to get caught, if Carlos the assassin would be identified, and if Marie was ever going to be bothered that her latest boyfriend was a renegade (By the way, she never did. What can I say? She was in love.). Usually, I don't enjoy books where silencers are mentioned often and a character's wife is actually a spy, but because I walked down the streets of France that the author describes when I read the book and the memory of the movie assisted my read, I liked it. Indeed, the movie is similar to the book but not fully true to it, which didn't hurt either one. It actually made it fun to notice the differences and imagine up some movie scenes that could have been.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I recently read this book as well. I thought it was pretty good but I'm sure I'd have liked it more had I been to those cool locations. But it was a good read.

Jess said...

Ah yes, the good old drei alpenhauser