10.16.2013

On hosting

I've recently met some individuals who have hosted their fair share of parties, get-togethers, and book clubs.  I can tell in the way they throw a gathering.  The decorations are abundant, the place settings and tables placed perfectly, the serving dishes are always complimentary for the accompanying food, and the food.  Oh the food!  It is always well thought out with always more than one dish or side or treat that compliments the meal, the activity, even the season.  And how in the world do they calculate how much to make?  I don't know, but they are right on the money most times with some extra left over. Which I have learned (the hard way) is better than having too little.

When I go to meetings to plan some of these activities, I sit back and rarely talk.  Which, if you know me, is rare.  I'll pipe up when volunteering to make caramel popcorn, for instance, but its all I can do from feeling somewhat bad for hardly adding anything to the mix.  But I consider these meetings gems. I am learning what people like and what key things are needed to make a party successful.

I am hardly the perfect host, but I must say that learning from these ladies is helping me feel more secure about the possibility of hosting.  And that's a step in the right direction.

And as a side note, one of these ladies has a husband who is currently climbing Mount Everest.  Sometimes I feel like I am living in the Twilight Zone.  I told the lady, jokingly, that I had never heard of Mount Everest, I was so taken aback when I heard what she said.  She looked at me like I was in the Twilight Zone.  Note to self: don't use sarcasm when somebody hardly knows you.  Or don't use sarcasm at all.  Maybe I need social conversation tips as well as hosting tips.

1 comment:

jo said...

Ha ha! I love that's at part. I laughed if it's any consolation.

Hosting is something I'm not entirely prepared for either but I do find that taking tips from good parties helps a lot. You'll have to share the ones you find the most helpful. I'd love to hear.