3.13.2012

bp's science: why airline food isn't the best (v.1)

According to an article in The New York Times, 1/3 of the tongue's taste buds are numbed in an airplane due to air pressure. Combine that with the extremely dry cabin air, making it harder for the nose to work, and you've got a problem even before the food is served. The paper reports that airline companies are working with master chefs to get around the fact that these senses aren't functioning 100% at 35,000 feet. It's all part of a business plan to keep high paying customers happy with good food.

And to that I say, good luck. I believe airline food can be delicious. My brother says he's had one of the best meals of his life on a plane. I know I've had some of the best peanuts. But this was probably because we were very, very hungry at the time.

1 comment:

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Interesting! One more reason to buy an overpriced Cinnabon in the airport. Ha!