2.22.2011

bp's science: ice cream of the future (v.1)

I just finished a post about breathing fire, but then I did some searching on the net and found that those who talk about this kind of stuff are of a certain ilk (an ilk that talks about creating bigger and badder things with fire and the like). And with that, I decided against posting about my experience and how it's done. I may decide to post it in the future, but it will probably be after I finish my potato rocket launcher. Kidding, kidding. It really is cool stuff, but I will hold off at this time.

Instead, I will share something interesting that I learned this week from a friend we had over for dinner this Sunday. He mentioned that when you drop semi-melted ice cream into a vat of liquid nitrogen (-321 degrees F), it automatically creates little ice cream spheres, aka Dippin' Dots. So if you were ever wondering how they made that crazily overpriced ice cream of the future, that's how. It's a natural process. Why spheres and not something else? An excellent question, and something I'll look into after I finish my potato rocket launcher.

image found here

1 comment:

jo said...

ah, Dippin' Dots. I've been duped by these on more than one occasion. But definitely interesting to find out how they are made.

speaking of... we've been playing with bubbles quite a bit these days. Any info or facts on bubbles you've got stored away?