6.02.2008

To fortify the city

In Ghent we visited the Gravensteen castle. I felt like I was back in time or on the set of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (come on, you watched it and enjoyed it back in the day). We walked the spiral staircases to the top and looked down over the city (I got butterflies in my stomach just looking down from the towers). Inside we saw a weaponry and torture instruments display. We then stood in huge fireplaces and sauntered in the church. We looked down in the dungeons and wandered in the courtyard. We imagined battles at that location and boy, are glad we live in 2008 and not in medieval times.

The castle was specifically built to fight off intruders
Just my size, eh?

2 comments:

Janice said...

Oh, I am so jeolous!

jo said...

Ha ha! That is just your size! Do you remember the Chataeu de Chillon? How does this compare (because from the picture it looks even bigger!)