6.20.2008

Glass pyramid

You know the Louvre is big when you've spent 5 hours in it and seen less than 1/3 of the collection. Believe me, I tried to force myself to stay longer, but the place is quite extensive. One grand hall leads to another large hall which leads to a big room with stairs to another huge area and then you find yourself in a wing which you try to locate on the 8 page map you've been carrying with you throughout the visit. By the end of 5 hours, I was at the point where a striking or famous piece of art just wasn't all that great anymore. "Hey, look over their, it's a Vermeer!" "Oh, really..."

However, for the 4.5 of the 5 hours I was there, it was extraordinarily grand. I felt like I was walking from page to page of my college art history books, each gallery a new chapter (I wish I would have read more thoroughly). This place is filled to the brim! We saw some of the classics along with the not-so-classic. Of course, the Mona Lisa room was crowded. There were so many people taking pictures, that some people were taking pictures of the black and white photocopies of the Mona Lisa on the signs directing visitors to the real Mona Lisa. The Winged Victory of Samothrace was quite a sight. And the sarcophagus were neat. So much to see, I treated some of our photos to a collage.

6 comments:

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I love the collage. How do you do that?

Natalie said...

So cool! What an experience. And I'd also love to learn about the collage...

jo said...

I am also pretty impressed by that collage of yours. You might have to make a post about it.

The Louvre! Man, you guys are just packin' in the fun. See, sitting through Professor Johnson's class wasn't for nothing, right? I'm just glad his "enthusiasm" for art still remains in you.

Brooke said...

Are you guys going to be back on Saturday or Sunday?

ash said...

I'll post about the collage when I get back to the US :) It's quite easy.

Jess said...

Ahh yes, the collage is very nice. My favorite piece would have to be the "Barbarian gutting a deer." So majestic.