6.24.2008

Late Dinner

At home growing up, dinner time was usually around 5:30pm and I haven't been able to get used to eating dinner later than that ever since. I think my stomach became used to and enjoyed it back then and has been fighting for it to stay that way ever since.

Back in the States, I get home from work around 5pm and I'm ready to eat as soon as I've made something, which is around 5:30pm. However, Jess doesn't get home from his day's activities until 6:30pm, in fact, it is closer to 7pm, so, after I eat a snack and possibly half of my serving of dinner, we sit down to dinner at 7:30pm, Jess to his full plate and me to what's left of mine.

Here in Europe, dinner's even later. Again, when 5:30 rolls around, I'm ready for my final meal of the day, while everyone here is still digesting their lunch. When we visited Paris, we met up with a Parisian friend of Jess' around 6:15pm. I was famished and suggested one of our activities during the evening should be dinner (which subtly meant, "I'm hungry right now. Let's eat!). He mentioned, "Parisians eat around 8:30pm, so around that time, we'll look for places to eat, sound good?" When in Paris, eat when Parisians do, right? My stomach wasn't satisfied with my Parisian-for-a-day attitude.

Tonight, we have the opportunity to go on a firm outing to visit a museum in Brussels and then enjoy dinner. . . around 9pm. Jess sent me this information in an email earlier today and explained, "It appears that we are eating dinner - but it will be at 9:00 so you may want to eat a snack first." Wise words.

My stomach and meal schedule aren't crazy. Case in point: if you wake up and eat breakfast at 7:30pm, 5:30pm really is the perfect time to eat dinner. With a 5 hour break between meals, here's the schedule:
7:30am: breakfast
12:30pm: lunch
5:30pm: dinner
If you're eating dinner at 9pm, according to my theory, you've woken up at 11am. Very scientific you see.

5 comments:

english said...

nice science there; your methodology is sound. I have to agree.

kel said...

me too. plus eating late can sometimes have nasty repercussions... mainly heart burn and bad dreams. i think 5:30 is the ideal time for dinner - especially because it leaves a little time for dessert if needs be.

jo said...

I agree. There must be time for dessert. And by the time you get to 8 o'clock your reserves have kicked in!

And speaking of dessert, we made a special trip for donuts yesterday. I thought of you.

Natalie said...

I totally agree with you. Although I think I'd just start eating four meals per day. If I eat around 5 then I'm pretty sure I can be hungry enough for another meal at 8:30pm. :)

Lilly said...

Exactly...wise words! After I lived in the States I thought it was really strange that in Europe people may eat later than 6 pm.

Also, based on my heathly lifestyle readings, it is known to be bad for digestion and metabolism to consume "heavy" food after 5 or 6 pm. Only fruits should be consumed then.