5.28.2008

Autobahn

A May sunset seen from the autobahn
Upon hearing that we'd be going to Germany, Jess' Belgian office mate suggested we rent a nicer car to travel the long distance. He found us a deal and we were off in a BMW 1-series, diesel engine. Neither of us had driven a BMW and we both like cars and have been driving a truck (extended bed) for the past 4 years, so it was a real treat. The drivers on the autobahn were, like you've heard, fast. Real fast. We began at a leisurely 140 km/h (~82 mph), but after a while Jess realized he was a) in a BMW and b) on the autobahn, so he increased his speed to 160 (100 mph). Riding in the passenger seat, I could handle it. Shortly thereafter an Audi passed us. Then a VW van passed us. And then a Ford wagon passed us. Jess said something to the effect, "A Ford can't pass us in a BMW on the autobahn," and again, he increased his speed. My blood pressure increased as we neared 190 and then 200 (125). These speeds were not sustained for 10 minutes at a time, but long enough to cause me to sit straight up in my seat and Jess to get the desired joy effect. All told, Jess reached 220 (~138 mph) for a bit, at which time I reached a 138 heart rate. It's a ride I won't soon forget.
Our rental car (BMW 118d) and the speed demon

9 comments:

jo said...

precious cargo, guys! precious cargo!

p.s. I'm pretty jealous.

Janice said...

Chris will be so jealous!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

wow, i am so jealous of your fabulous trip so far! that is so fun! way to one up us on disneyland, jerks.

Chap said...

As I always say in Germany> Nix nine on the autobahn. Ash ask jess, it is a family joke. Looks fun!!!

Chap said...

I must make a the tiniest correction...I do believe it rhymed and was "NIX NINE on the BAHNHEIM"

~chief editor for the Chap

Natalie said...

Oh my! I'm a little bit terrified just thinking about it. I'm glad you both made it one piece!

Da said...

JESS REMEMBER IF ASHLEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOU DRIVING ON THE AUTOBAHN, NEXT TIME TAKE ME !!! I purposely wrote on caps b/c I don't think anyone should waste a good car on a good road and not enjoy it. Heck take it up to 150+ or close to what the car was made for. And Jess you are right, no way should anyone let a Ford pass a BMW!!! If you can, post a video on the autobahn next time.

english said...

whoah, alright! and I thought getting the little Elantra up to 100 in Baja was something. you guys are working on a whole 'nother level.

Jess said...

That jess kid must be really cool.