11.02.2010

bp's science: blood pressure (v.1)

Have you ever been to the doctor when they spout off your blood pressure numbers and you think to yourself, now what's a healthy blood pressure again? I have. I simply can never remember.

A healthy blood pressure is anything under: 120/80

The top number is your systolic blood pressure, or the amount of pressure on your arteries when the heart muscle contracts (or pushes the blood out of your heart and into the body).

The bottom number is your diastolic blood pressure, or the amount of pressure in your arteries when the heart muscle relaxes (when the heart is relaxed and being filled with blood).

Now how to remember 120/80? 12 months in a year, 8 hours in a work week (+ the zeros of course)? I've been thinking about this for a while and that's the best I could come up with. If you've got a better way of remembering, let me know.

In other news, I voted today.

No comments: