6.16.2010

Small town feels good

So you may have noticed, I've been gone. Gone for a bit. I've been visiting a sister who just had a little one. And may I say, a very cute little one. In order to let them do the announcing with the babe and such, I'll keep my mentioning of said little one to minimum, but I will say this: very darling baby, very sweet little fam.
Oliver and I enjoyed our visit to their small town. I was really digging it, beginning with the drive through the green pastures to the walks past the water tower. Every time I'd go out to the store for needed items, I'd come back exclaiming to my sister, "Man, I love this small town!"

I waved to the recycling man, the postman, the neighbors, the car driving by. Said hello to the fellow morning walker, the women on bikes, the guy remodeling a house, and the lady who lives downstairs (and her many visitors). I had friendly conversations with cashiers at the store. Did you hear that? Conversations. This is kind of unheard of in my neck of the woods. And it was so refreshingly friendly. And all of the shopping carts were put back in the store or in the collecting area.


I think my personality is made for small town friendliness. Heck, I want my doctor to be my best friend, the postman to know my name, and the grocer to share his knowledge of produce with me. And I like driving my car fast without lots of stops. Gee, now I'm sounding like my dad.

5 comments:

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

There really is an element of charm in a small town. I remember being a missionary in WI in a town of 3000. The mailman once shot an elastic band at me across the library in jest and then told me a package arrived for me back at the apt. Love it!

jo said...

We were so thankful to have you here! And we're glad you liked the area. Feel free to return whenever you need a dose of small town. We'll keep the light on for you.

p.s. pretty soon you're going to want to move to Bern and do the gardening at said temple. ha ha

Chap said...

congratulations to Jo and Kevin on the birth of their cute baby! A year ago it was little Oliver-great picture of him in the doorway!

kel said...

i'm so glad you got to be there, Ash. way to be on the front lines. you and Oliver are swell.

english said...

"heck" & "gee": yes, small town.

and great pics!