6.29.2010

bp's science: computer science sort of (v.1)

What is in the air that is making computers go haywire? I mean, first my sister tells me that her computer crashed and her family has to get a new one, then my brother-in-law gets a virus and has to restore his, and the next thing you know, ours is on the fritz. (Can you believe I just used "haywire" and "on the fritz" in one paragraph?)

On the fritz got me to go buy an external hard drive. When I went to backup our hard drive, I got a "unmountable_boot_volume" error. After a little google computer science class, I am attempting to fix the problem. Jess taught me about the blessing of google computer science (i.e. search for problem and troubleshoot) and it has worked for us before, but we shall see. Right now I am at 61% completion of the "chkdsk /r" function. Let's hope this works.

Apologies, this post has nothing really to do with science, except for the fact that I feel like I'm completing a computer science final or something (I'm just guessing this is what it feels like).

So, cross your fingers my friends and backup the precious files on your computer today. You won't regret it.

p.s. to write this post I am using an old iMac my sister gave me a while back. Thanks iMac and thanks for the hand-me-down sister. We really do appreciate it around here.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Computers!

Da said...

Computers are great! Love them b/c they do so much; hate them b/c we're so dependent on them. But do let me know if you need help :)

Natalie said...

How'd it go? And how are you liking The Glass Castle? I liked that one. See ya tomorrow!

ash said...

Da, thanks for the offering of assistance. I will know who to go to with our computer issues.

Natale, computer problem that was mentioned in this post is fixed but now power source is a big problem.

Final word: new computer needed.

kel said...

that is a panic/frustration-filled situation. whenever you get that new computer it will feel pretty darn good especially now that everything is backed up.

p.s. how did you get the internetchi on the old iMac? happy to hear it's still serving.

ash said...

kel, we finally stopped attempting to use the spare wi-fi signals from the "club room" and got our own internet service, complete with cable. The iMac is serving us so well. So much so that we are delaying getting our new computer.

ash said...

complete with a cable to hook up to the computer...not television cable...as if that was confusing...

english said...

SCIENCE!