6.24.2010

Gene Kelly and George Gershwin

So, do you like Gene Kelly? What about George Gershwin?



My mother helped me become a fan of Gene. I remember watching That's Entertainment on PBS in the evening with her. We'd watch Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly. Sometimes I wish I lived during that time. I am still a sucker for old musicals. My sister helped me become a fan of George. For a year she learned a very difficult Gershwin piece on the piano, Prelude No. 1, for a competition. I still think of her every time track 3 from my Gershwin CD plays. She did awesome. That song is awesome.

When I discovered that Gene Kelly and George Gershwin came together in one great movie, I knew it had to be good. Kelly danced to Gershwin's piece, An American in Paris in the movie with the same title. Now in this movie is a dance (it's called a ballet but it's not a stereotypical ballet), it's about 18 minutes long because that's how long the song is. And it is amazing. The first time I saw it I was in awe. The second time, the same. The third, pretty cool. I watched this ballet a lot. I had this period of time during high school where I'd come home, grab a snack, and then go downstairs to watch the dance. I remember my siblings saying, "Again? You are watching it again?" And I would, and I loved it.



A few weeks back, I played a dance game on the Wii with some friends. As I danced to Can't Touch This and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I felt the inner Gene or Cyd Charrisse come out. I was lovin' it! Now there's a video game I can beat Jess at (but barely)! All those afternoons downstairs watching An American in Paris with Gene and George must have paid off.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Gene Kelly was my first crush. Interestingly, your brother, who I married, is short, stocky and has a beautiful smile like Gene Kelly. Maybe I can get him to sign up for some tap classes.

Trisha said...

I love Gene Kelly. Singin' in the Rain is probably my favorite.

jo said...

Indeed! I remember benefitting from your ballet fix and developing a love for it myself.

And I'm glad I can help out with the Gersh appreciation. Trade for a trade. :)

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

We just watched Singin' in the Rain last week. Now I've got to find An American in Paris to see that ballet.