9.04.2008

Style - Layering

It started in high school and I've liked doing it ever since. That is, layering. One morning I went to school with a navy blue t-shirt, a fresh plaid button up, and a red sweater. A friend said to me, as if pointing out an obvious blunder, "You've got three shirts on!" That was the point. In college I didn't like wearing a coat, even on the chilliest of days, because I'd rather layer. Thin t-shirt, long sleeve tee, corduroy button up, sweater, and then a zip up sweatshirt. I was never cold walking to campus. And when I did get hot in class, I'd shed a layer and place it in my backpack, no huge parka to lug around for a day or stuff under my seat.

After college I've continued to layer, but I haven't been coming up with as many new combinations, seeing as I don't purchase clothes that often (insert sentence about cheapness and laziness to look through all of the sales racks here), and layering just isn't as fun as it used to be (although I still do it, sometimes looking just like I did in high school!).

This is where The Sartorialist comes in. Have you heard of it? Probably, I hear it's pretty big. However, I just came upon it while perusing through this blogosphere. I won't describe it because you can take a look for yourself, but let's just say it's put the joy back into layering for me (just in time for fall). The sartorial blog serves me much like my sister's old J. Crew catalogs did back in high school. Lots of photos of neat style ideas and cues, all of which are brought to you by everyday people (well, mostly everyday people, but some are bigwigs and smallwigs in the fashion world). Plus, the blogger can talk about a pocket square and what a south paw is all in one post. A catalog never does that.

photo from j.crew.com

4 comments:

jo said...

you are indeed the ruler of layering, and the creator of the sweater-jacket combo which I sported for a whole winter season (with only a few minor adjustments on your winning theme).

Thanks for always keeping us updated.

ash said...

Jo, I was going to put a photo of a layering example from my photo collection and you were going to be the example. When you visited us, you had a great shirt, sweater, jacket combo. I didn't put it up seeing as I didn't have your permission and all, but it truly was well done layering by you.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

it is wonderful isn't it! i like waiting a long time inbetween viewing it because then there is lots to see.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are a fan of the sartorialist too. It's on my daily "reading list" for over a year! Every once in a while I will either be wearing an outfit or see one on the street and think that is so sartorialist material!