9.28.2008

Persuasion

Did you know about this Jane Austen tale? I didn't, until a friend recently let me borrow her dvd of the BBC version (thanks!). I was taken up with the movie just as I have been with all other Jane Austen films (excepting an awful 80s version of Northanger Abbey - picture late 18th century costume and storyline mixed with 80s hair influence and full-on 80s music). All films are wonderful and all have happy endings. Nothing like Tess of the D'Urbervilles or Wuthering Heights, thank goodness. What's strange is, and here's a confession of sorts, while I've read both of these sad stories, I have never read a Jane Austen novel. It may just be time to begin.

7 comments:

Mumsy said...

We absolutely LOVED Persuasion. I had never read or seen an adaptation of it before. I could have watched it over and over and over.

Check out the mini-series Cranford with Judi Dench. We got it from Netflix a few weeks ago and it was marvelous. You would love it.

Natalie said...

WHAT!!!??? I can't believe you would even openly admit that you haven't read a Jane Austen book. It's definitely time to bump The Three Musketeers and pick up Pride and Prejudice - now! The book is WAY better than the movie(s) and I love the movies!

jo said...

Hey Ash.

You better be careful or you might become the Professor.

It's a heavy burden to bear...


... just kidding.

Pincockbears said...

hey Ash- i'm surprise/inwardly proud that i've read the books your mentioned- so i'm not so clueless reading your post :) ok, yes, jane austen is a great author- makes for really good movies. check out Emma and Sense and Sensibility and The Importance of being Earnest. I think that last one of JA. I'll work on checking out persuasion- the title sounds like it's rated R. ha!

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I have to say, though I liked reading and watching the movie (Persuasion), I would not start with that book if you are going to begin reading Jane Austen. It took me a long time to get into it; and when I was done, I was left thinking, "That was good, but she's written better." I would recommend Pride and Prejudice. It is cliche,for a good reason. It is the best one she wrote. Jeff and I love your blog.

Trisha said...

"gasp"!! do you want to borrow my "full and compete set" of Miss Austens novels:) You are more than welcome to it. I'm glad you liked the movie, happy endings make everything soooo much more enjoyable. WH is just depressing, I don't care how great a classic it is.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I just checked this movie out from the library today. I have never seen this version. It should prove to be fun. Thanks for the suggestion.