9.08.2008

The Kite Runner: A Review

Definitely don't judge this book by it's cover or by it's name. Maybe I'm one of only a few people who mistakenly thought The Kite Runner was a sweet story about boyhood friends; but come on, a small boy on the front, the thought of flying kites, what are these book cover designers trying to pull on me?

While this book is a story about boyhood friends, it certainly isn't sweet. In fact, this book is far from sweet. It is very intense. That's the best word I can use to describe it. I read it in three days partly because I wanted to stop thinking about it, put some closure to it. The other reason I read it so quickly was because this book is high throttle; new events were being thrown at me before I could really digest them (maybe that's for the best) , and I wanted to find out what happened in the end. The intensity never stops. You can never rest and possibly, that may be the point.

This story centers around two boys growing up in Afghanistan and follows them as they grow to adulthood. While they are best friends, they are complete opposites. In religion, in social class, in physical look, in faith and beliefs, and in what is emphasized most, character. What results is a narrative that's bound to be emotional, even for the stiffest of individuals. I'd suggest only reading it if you're up for a severe story.

6 comments:

kel said...

i've heard the same kind of feelings expressed by friends who have read the book and/or seen the movie. thanks for the review... i will take your word for it.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

that is the exactly same word i used to discribe to other people when they asked me about it, i just said, "its intense." take that how you will. i didn't really know what to think about it, still not really left with a clear liked it or disliked it. just kinda... huh. i guess i was just expecting something totally different.

Kelly said...

Hey! I found your blog on Lindsey Johnson's page. I should have found you earlier. I really wish you were in my Sunday routine - but alas, you serve elsewhere.

So as far as Kiterunner - I read it with the same voracity, and yes, it was intense! I however LOVED it and would suggest it to anyone who really wants to think deeply on a book for several months. I liked it b/c the main character comes full cirlce for me with a bitter heart and a selfish attitude about life to someone who cares for others, "saves" others, and rids his personality of such bitterness. I cried at the last page when he says "for you, a thousand times over," quoting his half-brother who raced his kite years before. I really disliked the main character (whose name I have forgotten right now) and in the end really felt like he was a changed man. I thought that even the worst of humanity, and those that have suffered the most can see goodness in life and gain empathy for others.

I did read his other book right after and didn't like it much. Also an intense read and much of the same. It didn't hit me as hard I guess.

BTW, this is Kelly Stewart!

Natalie said...

Well, I loved the book but I agree it is intense. Have you seen the movie yet? It stays pretty true to the book I think. I have A Thousand Splendid Suns if you want to borrow it. Another intense but great book.

jo said...

interesting. we've been going back and forth on whether or not we want to watch the movie.

thanks for the review.

Tricia said...

Thank you for this post. I just finished this book earlier this week and had the same experience. A friend had mentioned it might contain some intensity, but I found myself happening upon the intensity a lot sooner than I thought--and not totally realizing it until a few pages past.

And, of course, I had to have some closure and finish the book. But meanwhile, Matt got to hear the whole story--and my thoughts and emotions--without reading the story himself.

I agree with you--it's not a book I'd recommend, but it certainly leaves you with an impression that changes your life paradigm in some way. I also am suddenly interested to know more about Afghanistan.