2.06.2008

Willa Cather's My Ántonia

Here's a book about ultimate friendship. A book that plays off of the belief that when you make a real friend, a friend you respect, a friend you love, you can make a connection with that friend forever. H.L. Mencken, an American critic commented that, "No romantic novel ever written in America . . . is one half so beautiful as My Ántonia.” I enjoyed this book because it is different in the way it is written and I liked the style. I haven't read a lot of modern books lately but I have read some, and it just seems that this kind of novel is not written anymore. The style of writing is unassuming and not straightforward, which requires the reader to insinuate some things. I like that. Does it discuss the open prairie, the expansive Midwest, the bitter but peaceful winters, and the vast, clear sky? Yes. And I understand that hearing this in combination with the word "romantic" may cause you to dismiss this book altogether . . . or draw you to it. Here's my suggestion: let all preconceptions fade away and give it a chance. It's worth the read.

7 comments:

Mumsy said...

I started reading this a long, long time ago while I was on vacation. In the middle of the trip, someone asked me if they could borrow it and NEVER gave it back. I was so sad because I remember how beautiful I thought it was. I can still see the images of the Midwest as it was described in the book.

Thanks for the reminder! I needed something new to read.

Linds said...

This is one of my favorite books. I heart Willa Cather.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

So.d. I will start it tomorrow! :)

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Correction to my last comment. What I meant to say was... Sold. I will start it tomorrow.

jo said...

I loved the reference to why sunflowers grew on the side of the road. I think that sticks in my mind most of all.

Chap said...

I love prairie located books since we spent (and will soon spend more) some years in Kansas. There is a special wide open,very American history,good people, big beautiful sky feeling there that still continues.

(Christine)

kel said...

here, here! i think Willa Cather's decriptions of characters and landscape alike are beautiful and simple.

i give it five stars! *****

p.s. i really like your hand-written 'boiled pizza'.