1.31.2008

Car shows are fun

I think my husband and I are in the minority, when considering this blog's readership, when I say we enjoy attending car shows. To most, car shows equal large convention centers holding hundreds of cars and lots of meaningless swag that ends up littering the streets and sidewalk just outside the exit. But alas, there's more! You probably didn't know that at car shows you can take a ride in a Jeep around a four-wheeling course, or play a car racing video game to test your eye-hand coordination, or even catch a concert raising money for charity featuring Gary Sinise. I also enjoy looking at the design of thee electric car of the future or hopping into the third row seat of a luxury SUV, only to find out that the seats seem to meet but not exceed toddler car seat specifications. We aren't there because we want to buy a car. We're there for the aforementioned combination of things. It's a good time.

Not sure about the direction VW is taking

Testing the toddler seats, aka third row of the BMW X5

Taking a turn at the VW GTI racing game

My younger brother loves this car's predecessor, the Nissan Skyline NTR

Coolest concept of the show, the Saab Aero

7 comments:

Jess said...

I like how your perspective on price gets skewed at car shows: "$40,000 for a Land Rover? What a steal! That's way cheaper than $70,000 Toyota Landcruiser!" (Yes, toyota really does sell the nondescript new Landcruiser for $70K. Don't ask me how or why).

kel said...

i think it's great that you guys are car show fans. i can only pretend to know as much as you. i have to say, i'm not surprised that Saab had the coolest concept car. some day, Jennifer... some day.

jo said...

I have to admit that I've never been to a car show.

But you two have nearly convinced me... nearly.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Like Joey, I have never been to a car show; but it seems pretty cool. I just want to know, what do they do with the concept cars? Does anyone get to have them?

Janice said...

Dentist husband LOVES them.

ash said...

Sadly enough, concept cars usually don't work all that great, that is if they have an engine, but most of the time they are only a shell of car, brought to the car show by a tow truck. So while the shell looks good, there's still a lot of work to be done back at the factory. Still, I'm not sure what the company does with their leftover concept cars. I'd be curious to find out as well...

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Thanks for the answer! :)