1.24.2008

Confusion Conclusions

When I was 17, driving downtown in my Plymouth Sundance with my friends, I asked them if they wanted to take the fast route or the scenic route back home. One of my friends laughed as she said to me, "There is no scenic way home from here - it's either the freeway home or the busy local roads home, but neither of those options are scenic." With all of the confidence in the world I answered, "Yes, there is a scenic way home. You just mentioned it. The busy local roads are the scenic way, or the long way." She paused a while, then answered over the tunes from the radio, "You think scenic means long?" I replied, "I know scenic means the long way home." I debated the meaning with her and the rest of my passengers for the 20 minutes home. I have since figured out the correct meaning of scenic.

This is not the only instance when I, or others, have totally mistaken something that is so obvious to the majority.

Take for instance my uncle. There was a time when he thought the neck tie on the old head icon of Kentucky Fried Chicken's Colonel Sanders was actually his body. Little arms and little legs.

And that icon in Microsoft Office applications used to "Fill Color." I always thought it strange that a tool that filled a shape in with color looked like a mortar board. (See icon to the left of the large A with red underline.)


Shocked? Surprised? Think this has never happened to you? You've never totally mistaken something that is clearly obvious to the majority? I bet not. I've talked with others concerning these confusion conclusions, and surprisingly many, if not all, have experienced one or two at some point in their life. Is there a word for this? Maybe my dad could tell me...

9 comments:

jeffbylund said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeffbylund said...

Hey Ash, Good one about your uncle and the Colonel. We'll never look at that tie the same way again...in fact we almost prefer to think of it as a little body. After all, everybody loves a good state fair style caricature, and we're no exception. Good call on the philosophy side too, all of us could take a minute to really think about what we think.
-Jeff and Tammy

jo said...

ha ha ha! I almost think the bow tie on the Colonel should his little body.

And I absolutely love that you thought the "scenic" route was the "long" route. It makes sense, you know. I follow your thinking there (though I have laughed many a time at the thought of you thinking, man this route is so blasted scenic!)

My story is about the song that goes, "you've got to know when to hold 'em/ know when to fold 'em/ know when to walk away/know when to run..." or something like that. I may have told you this before, but I always thought that song was about friends. You can imagine my surprise when it dawned on me... "wait a minute! cards!"

jo said...

ha ha ha! I almost think the bow tie on the Colonel should his little body.

And I absolutely love that you thought the "scenic" route was the "long" route. It makes sense, you know. I follow your thinking there (though I have laughed many a time at the thought of you thinking, man this route is so blasted scenic!)

My story is about the song that goes, "you've got to know when to hold 'em/ know when to fold 'em/ know when to walk away/know when to run..." or something like that. I may have told you this before, but I always thought that song was about friends. You can imagine my surprise when it dawned on me... "wait a minute! cards!"

Janice said...

Which Uncle? I was 18 before I learned that the correct words for "Forver In Blue Jeans" was just that and NOT, "A Rabbi in blue jeans." I made perfect sense considering that Neal Diamond is Jewish.

Jess said...

For all intensive purposes, I think you are spot on.

Angie said...

You know the All State commercials-the guy always says, "That's All State's stand. Are you in good hands?" Well, I thought it was, "That's All State, Stan. Are you in good hands?" The other day I said it to James and he thought it was pretty funny.

Chap said...

I burst out laughing about the little body!

I know that when the kids were little Vance and I thought about how a devious parent (and not a nice one!!) could teach a toddler all the wrong words for things-just for "fun". I have heard of a few scientists or sociologists (don't ask me who) who used their children for study animals. Talk about confused!

Your "intensive" was very funny, Jess! I enjoy your blogs, Ash, and your comments, Jess (and you other fans of Ash's blogs!)

Christine

ash said...

It's hilarious to hear about everyone's confusion conclusions!