12.03.2020

Trying

Have you ever had a conversation with your child and during it you just can’t believe what your kids are doing, saying, thinking about, dealing with, processing, and experiencing? It can be good, bad, sad, enlightening, surprising, amazing, wonderful! 

Lately, I’ve been caught off guard, in a good way, with the things my kids are doing and thinking about. One child in particular is really working on being kind to everyone these days. He says it can be a challenge, but he is succeeding and reaching out. And last night at dinner as we talked about it, he said it made him feel good. 

I once read a blog that said a middle schooler came home and lamented to her mother that she didn’t have any friends. Her mother gave her some advice. She told her to look for someone in her class that was worse off than her and to make friends with that person. The middle schooler went back to school and made friends with a very shy girl. They become good friends and have been best friends ever since. These friends are now in their 70s. Yes!

My mother once asked a women, who was young, vibrant, and very different than most in the congregation at church, if she’d like to join the choir. My mother mentioned that she loved this woman’s singing voice and would enjoy having her as a strong soprano in the choir. “It’s a lot of fun,” my mom continued, “and something we’d love to have you be a part of.” This women answered in the affirmative and then broke down a bit and said, “You are the first person to invite me to anything in this neighborhood, thank you.” An invitation like this can make all the difference. 

I’ve had many examples in my life of people who are kind. I am so grateful to them and I try to emulate them each day. Sometimes I falter, but I’m trying, and that’s what matters. And that’s what I tell my kids. Try! No one’s going to be disappointed by someone who does.