11.21.2018

bp’s science: don’t throw away those giblets yet!

Most of us don’t use the giblets that come with a turkey. Am I right? The recipe I was using said to pull out the giblet packet and discard. This year, my boys were watching me prep our turkey to brine as I pulled out the neck and giblets. Instead of the quick discard, we pulled out the heart, liver, and gizzard. I let them hold each organ and we discussed what it did.  It was a neat science lesson about how bodies work. It also allowed my kids to think a bit more about what they eat. Ansel may just be a vegetarian now :). 

Afterward, I took the heart and dissected it a little. Fascinating! This may give me a little more biologist cred with Jess, seeing as I don’t practice in the field but graduated with a degree in it and love to claim I am a one. But I digress. 

Try it! When you prep your turkey this year, open that giblet pack and see if you can guess which organ is which. But not if that’s too disgusting. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: