5.10.2010

These is My Words: A Review

My sister suggested this book as a quick read, and it was. Truth be told, it took me a few days to get through the first 20 pages (I find that I just fall asleep if I'm not into a book) but once it got going, I finished it in 2 days. I read any spare moment I had: while Oliver was napping, while the pasta was boiling, while I was waiting for Jess to brush his teeth before retiring. All this reading these days, I guess I'm making up for all of the times I didn't read as a kid.

This book is a first person narrative written in the form of a diary. Sarah Agnes Prine, a woman living in the Arizona Territories around the late 1800s, writes of her experiences traveling across the territory, interacting with Indians, fighting off bandits, dealing with sadness, falling in love, and raising a family. A lot of the story centers around her relationship with Captain Elliot, a man who leads a wagon train where she's a fellow traveler. Nancy Turner, the author, does an excellent job articulating a healthy relationship, making statements about trust and moments of silence that rang very true to me. Does that make you want to read the book? It should. This was a story with a touch of real life, real romance, and real hardship. A combination for success that passed my test.

5 comments:

elnaclark said...

This is one of my top ten books. I love it so much. I love the progression her writing takes during the book. Great romance~!!

jo said...

I'll have to add it to the list. I'm glad you're making up for your previous book drought.

Natalie said...

I thought it was good too. :)

Janice said...

If you liked this you would really like Jubilee Trail by Gwen Bristow.

Matt said...

Such a great book. I pretty much love everything about it. (This is Rebecca.)