3.04.2009

Conversation piece

My growing belly has become a conversation piece. I mean that in a good way. There's something about the joy of expecting that makes people feel at ease. When it's clear you're having a baby it seems that people feel an instant connection with you and the next thing you know they're telling you about their experience, whether it be a mother sharing her miracle of becoming pregnant after going through unsuccessful infertility treatments, a father telling you how it is to raise a little boy, or the younger people sharing stories about when they were kids or what their nieces and nephews are like.

I have talked to people at my office, people I have worked around for 2+ years and never said a word to, now that I am having a baby. I have discussed with people, who I usually have "skim the surface" conversations with, the ins and outs of parenthood. I have been asked how I'm feeling about 3 or 4 times a day by people who I simply smiled at while passing in the hall. It's interesting how the subject of expecting a little one brings the extrovert out of introvert settings. What is it about having babies, raising babies, and baby subjects that lessens the gap between people? Do you like that lessened gap? Do you not? I'd like to hear.

8 comments:

Trisha said...

You know, it hadn't thought about it that way. I suppose it's a way for people to connect because nearly everybody has children, has kid siblings they helped with, nieces/nephews, or wants children. It's just something that nearly all of us share as common ground. And we all feel like "experts" to some degree. Babies and pregnancy are just especially fun to talk about. All the planning, everyone with their own opinions and experiences etc.
I for one like it, but I did tire of it while I was the pregnant one. I felt like a lot of people offered their advice too freely.
Anyway, interesting observation

Emily said...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! I have to de-lurk on your blog to say that I'm so excited and happy for you.
As far as the lessened gap, I enjoy it when it's friendly chit-chat. Not unsolicited advice. I usually really enjoy people smiling at my kids because I know they're so cute (I'm biased, of course.) Every once-in-a-while someone will comment on something I'm not doing right and that is extremely annoying.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

That has been true for me as well. You will find that it continues once your little boy Theodore is out.

I find I talk to people all of the time at grocery stores, libraries, parks, and basically anywhere. A lot of times this is because Eli says, "Hi!" to the people we are around.

I have to say I quite enjoy it. In fact, the world would be a better place if people were always so open, friendly, and concerned about others. Maybe it is because children are naturally extrovert (mostly), so when we talk about them/ think about them it inspires us to be more friendly and open.

Natalie said...

I agree with Trish - I hadn't thought about it that way. Most of the time I think I enjoyed the extra attention while I was pregnant but towards the end it started to get old. Especially right at the end when I was overdue and everyone I met told me how huge I was or expressed their surprise that I was still pregnant. I can't say it gets much better with a newborn though. Everyone thinks you need their advice...
But people are still more likely to talk to me if Charlie's with me and as I like meeting people it's pretty nice. :)

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

P.S. I never knew that you went to Paris. That is cool! I would like to hear about that.

jo said...

are you expecting?

just kidding

kel said...

i never realized how being pregnant is kind of like wearing a t-shirt with a few fun facts about yourself on it. i mean, imagine wearing a shirt that says: i like to water ski, i have a tremendous love for Byzantine art, i know how to make a cake from scratch, i went to BYU, etc. if you had all of those facts there for people to instantly access i bet they'd be up for more conversation. having a pregnant belly is instantly accessed and everyone has something to say on the subject. it can be both good and bad depending on what they say and/or how they say it.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Ash - I'm a little disappointed you haven't posted a picture of you as a pregnant mom-to-be.