2.16.2009

Discontinued?!?

When at the grocery store, Jess and I like to look for deals,...heck, we love to look for deals. Jess is the best at finding them (while he's busy checking out all the mustard flavors or the latest iteration of stuffed olives); because most of the time, I just rush through the store to get the shopping task over with (I'm working on changing this mentality). Some of the deals we find are in the form of discontinued items, "33% off!" the little sign declares to us with an explanation point. So we check it out and decide. We've picked out some doozies. Paul Newman's Lime dressing looked promising (maybe it was his charming face on the bottle), but when we tasted it, we knew the discontinuation was a sound business decision.
A few days ago, however, we found a discontinued item that saddened me instead of excited me. Nature Valley Vanilla Yogurt bars.
These things are delicious! How could they be getting rid of such a product? The vanilla creates the perfect bit of sweet with the savory granola. A match destined for success, or so the execs at Nature Valley and I thought. Not so. It looks as if the strawberry and blueberry flavors are hanging on, but vanilla's gotten the boot. We bought a couple of boxes and revelled in our deal. Too bad vanilla's had to make it's exit at a little over $2 a box.

8 comments:

Angie said...

I hear ya on this one. I really miss vanilla mint chapstick. It was the best "chapstick" brand flavor ever. I have one tube left from the lie 10 I bought when I found out it was discontinued, and Sam found it the other day. Now it has no lid, and the half that he didn't eat is all globby and bumby.

Jess said...

Paul Newman's smiling face has beguiled us for the last time!

Well, until there is another smoking hot deal, that is.

Natalie said...

Really? LIME salad dressing? I can't believe you fell for that one! The granola bars do sound tasty though.

Jess said...

Natalie, have you ever looked deep into Newman's eyes and then had the courage, nay, the audacity to say no?

english said...

I love the bit about "the latest iteration of stuffed olives". I always keep a close eye on the Christmas exchange for the hippest in avant-olives.

jeffbylund said...

Vanilla mint chapstick was discontinued?! What a bummer, that really was the best. I guess we're just stuck with classic pink. Whatever flavor that is...

jo said...

Dudes, don't be fooled by Newman's Own face. The oreo equivalents are a mistake as well.

Jess said...

Thanks for the tips on the Newman oreos, Joe. I feel like I just avoided a major Newman booby trap.