11.10.2008

The Joy Luck Club Book Review

I've heard that this book was "really good" for several years, but only just got around to reading it. While I found it to be good, I wouldn't say really good. Yes, the story telling was superb as the cultural divide between mothers (who had lived in China and immigrated to the United States) and their daughters (who had grown up Chinese-American) was explicated. However, I couldn't help but be disappointed in the lives of the daughters in the stories. While the mothers battled through massive trials and great humility, the daughters tended to be a little mean-spirited and their adult lives were filled with empty accomplishments and incomplete goals. This book certainly does provide intriguing stories, interesting cultural observations, and a poignant ending. I guess I just wish there was more of a hope or happiness mixed among it all.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey there! I felt the same way about his book. I hope that b/c I have had EVERY POSSIBLE blessing imaginable laid out for me by the sacrifice of others who have come before me, I can still remain a true and good person who will make meaningful contributions. It seems that generations born of sacrifice can sometimes be self-serving and shallow.

BTW, I can't really picture you in a crown vic. I only see a very petite person that MIGHT pass for having a valid drivers license getting pulled over for impersonating a policeman. Ha Ha

Kelly stewart

jo said...

Interesting. So it's a no go on this one, eh?

I need a good book to read these days, any suggestions?