10.02.2007

The Karamazov Brothers

Last night I felt like I had a book report due. You see, I checked out The Brothers Karamazov during the end of July. Not once, but three times I received the pleasant email from the library: "The following books are due on mm/dd/yyyy. Please return the items listed below to avoid incurring a late fee." Three times I quickly entered my several digit library number and clicked on "Renew Items." Ahh yes, three more weeks (times three) to finish! Well, my time was up. Due on 10/01/07, and still not completed with 100+ pages to go. I must interrupt at this point and recognize that some of you may be wondering why I just didn't take upon myself the 10 cents-per-day late fee. The truth is, I've never turned in a library book late and why destroy the record now? Anyhow, 100+ pages left, so I read through lunch, worked, ate some dinner, talked, and then read some more. Reading, reading, at some times skimming, all the time feeling like my AP English teacher was asking me, wiggling her fingers, what are the themes, what are the motifs, what is Dostoevsky trying to say about mankind, what about the conflicts of man vs. man, man vs. society, man vs. self? The Epilogue is here, the final pages! I finished 15 minutes before the assignment was due. I rushed to the library and deposited my books into the receptacle leading to the entrails of the library. And now for the thought provoking essays to be completed in my brain. I've been thinking a lot about this book. In some ways I think I understand what Dostoevsky was trying to say, in others ways I'm still trying to figure it out. If any of you have read this book, do you want to form a study group via comments? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Dostoevsky's notes for Chapter 5 of The Brothers Karamazov, wikipedia.org

3 comments:

kel said...

i started this book two summers ago and i'm still working on it. well, i guess that's not really true since i haven't picked it up for over a year and a half. nevertheless, i do want to finish it some day. i really like ol' Dostoevsky. what a nut - just look at those notes!

Mumsy said...

I'll have to read this.

By the way, your cousin, Fred, would be so proud of you. His eye starts twitching every time I have an overdue book--and because he works for our public library system part time, we don't even incur late fees. Like I said, he would be so proud.

Janice said...

I have only read Crime and Punishment by him. Now you have got me curious.