8.03.2007

How can I help you?

This past year I moved across country to DC. Although the moved proved easier said than done, I am finding that the city and the surrounding area are very nice and the people are indeed friendly. However, the customer service here is a bit different…wait, maybe I should rephrase; checking out at a cashier is different here. First, very little eye contact is made, if any. I know, strange to think you can be helped by someone and never make eye contact, especially when you’ve got a ton of groceries that take about 8 minutes to check out. Second, a total price is never told to you. You never hear, “Your total is $25.37,” or “It’s $25.37,” or even “$25.37.” Instead, the cashier just points (if that) to the credit card device (again without making eye contact) and you try to read what it says on that monochrome screen that someone has accidentally signed using a real ball point pen. I’ve tried to say hello to a few cashiers; in fact, I say “hello” or “good evening” to pretty much every cashier that assists me. There are definitely some who perk up and say “hello” back. However, the majority responds with a faint “hello” under their breath as they continue to scan your items one by one. It’s somewhat sad that this occurs so often. What happened to the time when you enjoyed some human interaction when you went out to run some errands? Maybe I’m the exception, maybe this is the way most prefer. Still, it’s hard for me to understand how the automatic, pre-recorded, pleasant voice at the self check out machine is more helpful, informative, and welcoming than the human being behind the checkout stand.

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

Try shopping at Trader Joe's. Your experience will drastically improve. You may even find reasons to go there just because the staff is so pleasant.

I'm serious--and it's cheaper, too.

Lilly said...

Agree 100%!!
You know how to shop smart Ash and Trader's Joe's it's excellent for quality and price.

Cheap (you have to find the deals each week, though) and natural products, it's worth it.
I endorse Lindsey's suggestion.

Lilly said...

Oh, one more thing on the customer service you experienced..reading it..I can't help but think " that is very similar to how it is in Europe, Italy especially".

Actually, there--- is WAY WORSE. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE whatsoeveer!!!at least in my expeerience--and I lived there 20+ years...
they act bothered if you ask for some specific items or have other questions out of the regular routine.
They scan your items and they are quiet and yes, they are like machines or they'll just give you a bad look, like why are you bugging me... have to be here and it sucks...type of attitude...
instead of "can I help you", the feeling is " okay let's get this over and am so not willing to deal with you".

Try it if/when one day you'll go to Italy--- if you ever then want to return an item, let's say at a clothing store...good luck!
You'll have to be a lawyer and prove your case thoroughly, specifying there is something EXTREMELY wrong with what you bought or they'll treat you like you are trying to treak them;

Indeed that's amore!