8.10.2007

Choice dessert

As you may know, I love doughnuts. They are delicious. Indeed, there are definitely better doughnuts out there than others. We don't even need to discuss Hostess boxed doughnuts because any doughnut that was made 7 days before eating is a moon pie. Anyhow, all the rage is the Krispy Kreme doughnut. However, I just can't seem to join the band wagon. Everything doughnut they sell is covered with the same glaze. What the? And the doughnuts aren't substantial enough. They are very light (not healthy lite, but fluffy light) and sweet, which I understand a lot of people enjoy. However, to me, they all seem to have the same taste regardless of the flavor you buy. They disappear too fast, meaning, when I'm done with them I feel like I've eaten an hor d'oeurvres not a doughnut. The best doughnut I've ever had was from a place in Salt Lake City, Utah called Banbury Cross. The doughnuts there are substantial, with the right amount of yeast and distinct, separate flavors. I have yet to find a place that even compares! Does this mean I will not eat a doughnut that comes from Krispy Kreme? Certainly not, I'll eat it, enjoy it for 5 seconds, and then wish I was eating a maple bar from Banbury Cross.

4 comments:

jo said...

I second your Banberry Cross motion. And along those lines, we used to be bribed with them in Mock Trial in 9th grade. Talk about an awesome bribe.

I've always depended on your doughnut expertise. I'm glad to recieve this review of Krispy Kremes.

kel said...

there is only one doughnut... Banbury Cross.

all others are 'donuts'.

we'll make a run when you are here!

Janice said...

I so agree with you. Maple bars from Banberry Cross are the ONLY way to go.

english said...

Ash, gosh I knew you liked doughnuts but didn't realize how extremely subtle and nuanced your palate was for the things! funny you should mention moon pies; I just had my first one last month. and I also miss the Banbury Cross. my dad, grandpa and I used to stop by there for a treat on the way to $4 haircuts next door.