6.29.2007

Define "okay"

I'm always curious as to how individuals are feeling when, after asking them "how are you?", they answer "okay." Does that mean "I'm feelin' pretty good," or "I feel down, but trying to feel better," or "This is as good as it gets for me"? On a scale of "crappy" to "great," I think "okay" falls somewhere between "alright" and "fine." When people say they're "okay" I always feel like asking them, "What can I do to help you feel better?" However, what if "okay" to them is actually "pretty darn good"? So, I don't ask, and I hope that on their scale of "crappy" to "great," "okay" sits somewhere on the better end of the scale.

Scale of "How are you?" answers according to my measurements:
crappy - alright - okay - fine - good - great

4 comments:

jo said...

interesting. I would have to say that I would switch alright and okay. I would say: crappy, okay, alright, fine, good, great. Whenever people say, "I'm okay," I associate it with, "I'm just getting by". So, ash, how are you?

ash said...

After I wrote my post, I was actually worrying about my placement of "alright" and "okay." You bring up a good point. In regards to your question, I am doing great! And you?

Annie said...

Hallelujah! You finally have a blog...I was beginning to feel weird about my stalking of your family blogs trying to find you! So you're in D.C. eh? How come, how long, job, kids? So many questions...email me at eganannie@gmail.com and we can catch up...

Janice said...

I have to say the four in the middle all have the same meaning for me. No real difference.