11.13.2022

Today we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I guess I’m getting weak as a parent. I used to hold fast to the “no Christmas movies before Thanksgiving” rule, but today I broke that rule, even though my nine year old reminded me of it. What’s happening to me? 

I’m letting candy be eaten before lunch. I’m forgetting to make kids practice piano before video games are played. My kids’ friends are here or over at friends’ house way past 5:30 (my childhood curfew). Beds aren’t consistently made for Pete’s sake. 

But we had a vegetable tonight at dinner. I played several rounds of the game “Spot It” with my kids. We went on a walk together as a family. And I didn’t totally lose it when someone with a mouth full of whipped cream laughed and while doing so spit out said whipped cream got all over the bathroom door. Don’t ask. 

Parenting takes a lot. Sometimes rules don’t get followed and you end up watching “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” But you feel okay at the end because that movie never fails to deliver even before Thanksgiving. 

No comments: