10.19.2021

Rattling thoughts


I’ve had something I recently read repeating over and over in my head and that is:

In family relationships LOVE is really spelled TIME. 

Reading books, playing Hot Wheels, listening to the latest discovery in Minecraft, talking about why the Office is so dang funny. It’s these times that my kids will remember. I know this because one of my most vivid memories with my mom is sitting in the chairs on the porch talking about anything ranging from friends to rainy days to what’s difficult in life and why people do or act the way they do. I get teary just thinking about the TIME I spent with my mom. Sure, she was busy sometimes and had lots of stuff to do, but she always made time (and I am a talker, so it was a lot of time, ha!). 

Sometimes I’m busy, tired, exhausted, or really not interested in what obsidian you may have mined in Minecraft today, but I have to push all those feelings aside and give the time, the effort, a listening ear. True, there have been times where I say “can we talk tomorrow?” or “okay, it’s time to go to bed!” but I feel the best when I’ve given the time. 

And while we’re at thoughts rattling on in my head, here’s another statement I read and enjoyed:

Until it’s my turn, I will keep clapping for others. 

What does this mean exactly? Can we cheer for others when they are trying something scary, hard, or even easy? Can we cheer when they are succeeding even if we are jealous or feeling inadequate in comparison? I sure hope I’m doing a good job at supporting people when I’m not in a big role. Still, that isn’t to say I haven’t felt good when the cheering is for me. I like that place. But cheering for others is a good place too. It’s a place where you have to get comfortable with not being the best. You have to let go of your insecurities and be patient. You have to not feel sorry for yourself. You have to really care about others.

I’m still thinking about how I can be better at both of these things: time and support. I’m thinking about how I can teach my kids to do these things too. I think I may need to spend some time in some chairs on the porch. 

1 comment:

jo said...

Those porch chair conversations were THEE best.
I hope you hear cheering coming from the east, because I surely think you're one of the greats.
Thanks for your thoughts today. Such good ones!