12.19.2018

All to the tune of Mannheim Steamroller

This month’s sound track has been Mannheim Steamroller’s first Christmas album. The kids have it on every time they play downstairs. As such, the tunes have stayed with me throughout our activities.

The first was Oliver’s piano recital. He did so well. His piano teacher is perfect and I hope she’s still teaching when Ansel starts playing (and eventually Ian too!).

Then he had his violin concert at school. You’ll spot him in the back, fourth from the right. I am amazed at what this orchestra teacher has taught these kids.
Ollie had a solo during Winter Wonderland that I found out about just as he stood up to play. Haha! Chances are he thought we wouldn’t care or he didn’t want me to ask him to practice it; either way, it was a pleasant surprise. And how does this kid look 12 in this pic? You’re 9 Ollie! I think he is standing on a step while Jess is on the floor. Phew! I was getting nervous there. 

Oliver also had the lucky opportunity to decorate the Governor’s Mansion Christmas tree this year. Only one class from all of the fourth graders in Utah get the chosen to do it, so he was lucky! We saw him on the news and everything. It was quite the experience.  Then an article in the Sandy news came out. Oliver was quoted and in a photo (see him mid-blink on the left?:). He got excited about that. 

Ansel has been playing Jr Jazz and loving every minute of it. They are teaching the kids basic b-ball skills and its fun to watch. Takes me back to all the games I watched my younger brother play.  

We visited the Festival of Trees and enjoyed the Christmas cheer. We saw a tree dedicated to my wonderful sister-in-law. It was beautiful! Also, Ansel talked with an elf again this year. 

Ian and Ansel painted ornaments, a tradition we have every Christmas. 

We got some sledding in too. And here’s ittle trick to everyone who has boogie boards in their garages. Use them as sleds! Perfect for a snowy hill and better quality than the sleds they sell at the big box stores. The kids love to stand up on them like a snowboard and hold onto the rope. 

I was able to go to Handel’s Messiah Sing-in. It was  a great way to ring in the season. 

Overall, December has been full of goodness!



No comments: