10.23.2018

“Mom, where are you?”

All of my kids ask this when I’m not in the kitchen or family room. I’ll answer back, “I’m in here.” They’ll try to hone in on my voice and I listen for their little (or big) footsteps looking around for me. Oftentimes I have to give them more of an explanation as to my whereabouts. Then they find me. 

On busy days, I feel that I just need a break to sit down and read something without an interruption. However, sometimes I think to myself, “I am going to miss this someday,” and I perk up the minute they find me. “Hey, what do you need?” Usually it’s a drink of water (Ian), a bottle of food coloring (Ansel), or participation in the latest magic trick (Oliver).

Recently I read a blog where a woman in her fifties looked back on her experience as a parent to four kids. She sounded pretty amazing and cool. Many of the things she said were so good, but the one that stuck out to me was: 

At the end of the day, I’ve done what’s worked for me and my family. Other people’s value judgements typically say more about their lives than yours. 

I love that! Parenting works differently for every personality. We all do things that allow us a balance so we are the best parents we can be. Anyway, I’m trying to take in all of this stage of parenthood because everyone whose gone before me tells me it goes by so fast and I’ll miss it. I’m sure they’re right. 


No comments: