10.12.2010

A Review: The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

When I read, I have a tendency to fall asleep. But I've found a book that had the exact opposite effect on me. In fact, I'd reach for this book to keep me awake. A rarety indeed!




The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan is a true story of a mother of 10, Evelyn Ryan, who works to keep her family afloat by winning various product contests. Throughout the 50s and 60s, companies like Paper-Mate or Dr. Pepper would ask consumers to finish a rhyme or describe in 25 words or less why their product was the best. Evelyn had a knack for words and her winnings showed it. This story weaves through the Father's alcohol problem, older brothers making it to the minor leagues, and the family cat raising a hen and a sparrow. And that is just the beginning. It's a tale of strength and humor, patience and fulfillment, positive thinking and reward. Three important things I gleaned from the book:

- Don't ever judge others.
- Don't waste your life being bogged down by what others have done to you. Rise above it and live your life free of their's.
- Positive thinking and a sense of humor do wonders.

If that's not a recipe for happy living, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I loved how this book was so positive and didn't dwell on the dark side of things (which it easily could have, as I am sure there was plenty of darkness with the father's alcoholism). I loved this book.

jo said...

This sounds like a great find. And it sounds like Janice liked it too. I'm going to add this to my list of books to read. Thanks for the suggestion.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

This sounds awesome. I want to read it. How do you find all the titles you read?

R said...

I loved this book! The dad bothered me, but that mom was amazing!