12.14.2009

The Natural by Bernard Malamud

This book is interesting. It kind of reminds me of Tess of the Durbervilles, in that fate plays a huge part. However, I found myself thinking of the natural as a sad character who didn’t have the guts to change his circumstances. However, I told that to Jess and he said that he felt bad for the character. Maybe that’s because he’s seen the movie and I haven’t. On that note, I have found, more than once, that two people can read the same book and interpret it in a two very different ways. Have you found that to be the case? Anyhow, this book is good and sad and, at times, pathetic. Pathetic because the main character doesn’t learn from his mistakes. There’s something to learn from every book, and my favorite line that I would have highlighted had it not been a library copy:

“We have two lives…the life we learn with and the life we live with after that.”

Post edit: I watched the movie this past weekend. I must admit that while Malamud’s book was indeed a well-written piece of literature, I am a fan of the movie’s happy ending (come on, who wouldn't love lights exploding with some great music?).

1 comment:

jo said...

I really enjoyed this review. I have to say, I think per your suggestion, I'll watch the movie and skip the book. I mean, those ending effects seem to make the investment worth it right there!