8.24.2009

the best things

We've all heard the old proverb, "The best things in life aren't free."

Well, one afternoon, while my mother tested my grandpa's sugar levels, I wandered around his house looking at things.  A small piece of paper with something scratched onto it caught my eye.  In my grandfather's shaky handwriting it read, "The best things in life aren't things, they are family and friends."

As we venture off, once again heading for the east, my grandpa's words echo my thoughts.  I've loved this summer.  I've cherished being around family and seeing old friends.  I've loved the dry air, the cool nights, the wind in the mulberry trees.  I've enjoyed the Sunday dinners, the impromptu outings, the home theatre nights, the Heber crispness.  The smiling faces of family and friends are best though.  

Hope your summer has been splendid too.

5 comments:

Janice said...

We will miss you. And, like you, our summer has been splendid.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Theodores - we loved seeing you in UT! We'll miss you. Best wishes with the apt hunt and transition back.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Yes... cool, dry summer nights. I love those. I am glad that you had a great summer.
I have also been wanting to see the movie you wrote a little bit about. I am glad that you liked it.

Anyway, I hope that all goes well as you embark on this new phase for your family.

kel said...

it was a swell summer with us all close together ('cept Jo and Brooke but 7 out of 9 ain't bad). you're always welcome in Reno... we've got dry air too!

jo said...

I'm sure glad to hear that your summer was a good one. I felt good knowing you were all close by.

I sure hope you guys enjoy your autumn just as much as you summer.